Devotees take holy dip in Ganga on Chhath puja
Varanasi: Lakhs of devotees on Saturday took a holy dip in the river Ganga here on the occasion of Chhath puja.
Devotees offered prayers to the Sun God at Dashaswamedh, Rajendra Prasad, Sheetala, Kedar and Assi ghats.
In view of the heavy rush of people, heavy deployment of police and paramilitary forces has been made at all the ghats and temples, a senior police official said.
Ahead of the festival, a massive cleaning drive was launched in the city and a number of sacred kunds and water bodies cleaned.
Besides ghats and water bodies, waste was also collected from various colonies in the city, B K Singh, senior health officer, Varanasi Nagar Nigam said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics