Devvarman destroyed by Youzhny in Wimbledon
London: India`s Somdev Devvarman was knocked out of Wimbledon in the second round on Thursday as Russian 18th seed Mikhail Youzhny cruised to a 6-2, 6-4, 6-4 victory.
Devvarman, ranked 68th in the world, had enjoyed an easy route into the second round when Denis Gremelmayr was forced to retire from their first round match midway through the second set.
But the 26-year-old`s debut appearance at Wimbledon didn`t get any better than that as the big-serving Youzhny ran riot in the late-evening gloom on Court 14.
Devvarman had never been past the second round of a Grand Slam in five previous attempts and the America-based player was unable to break that disappointing sequence at the All England Club.
In a match interrupted by several rain breaks, Youzhny was always in control as he booked a third round tie against Spanish 16th seed Nicolas Almagro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened