Dhaka`s forex reserves jumps by 91% in a yr; cross $10 bn
Dhaka: Bangladesh`s foreign exchange reserves have crossed the USD 10 billion mark, the highest ever, an official said.
The nine-fold increase in as many years is thanks to increasing remittances, a fall in global fuel prices and reduced rice imports.
The country`s foreign currency reserve was USD 1.3 billion in the financial year 2000-01.
The increase of 91 percent, from USD 5.24 billion in November 2008, recorded Wednesday was cause for celebration for the country`s economic planners.
"It is a historic moment as our long-cherished dream of reaching the USD 10 billion mark has finally turned into reality," Bangladesh Bank governor Atiur Rahman told media.
"It has become evident to the international arena that Bangladesh`s economy is now based on strong economic foundation. We thank the farmers and non-resident Bangladeshis for their contribution in reaching the milestone," New Age newspaper quoted him as saying Thursday.
However, the reserves stood at USD 10.03 billion due to the addition of an Asian Development Bank (ADB) loan of USD 744 million to deal with the global recession and implementation of policy reforms.
Remittances had continued to rise despite global recession and hundreds of workers returning home jobless.
Bangladeshi workers abroad remitted over USD 3.6 billion in the first four months of the fiscal year, which is 21.23 percent up against the same period last year.
An all-time record for monthly remittance of USD 937.9 million was set in August this year. Bangladesh received USD 9.7 billion in remittance in 2008-09, and USD 7.9 billion in 2007-08.
Another plus for the calamity-prone economy was that rice production remained high and the import of the staple commodity dropped to zero.
Hit by floods and a cyclone in November 2007, Bangladesh had resorted to panic buying of rice during 2008 to offset crop losses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid