Dhoni blames IPL parties for T20 debacle
St Lucia: After being eliminated from the third edition of T20 World Cup, Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni blamed post-match IPL parties for the debacle.
“The IPL parties after the every match took a toll on the Indian players,” said a visibly upset MS Dhoni while addressing the post match press conference here on Tuesday.
He also said that it’s up to the players how they respect their bodies during the hectic IPL schedule.
“It’s up to the individual player how they respect their bodies and balance the parties with their performance,” said the India skipper.
He also said his side failed to play to its potential.
India needed to win by at least 20 runs against Sri Lanka but lost the Super Eights match by five wickets to crash out of the elite ICC event.
India looked set for big score as they were 90 for one in 10 overs after electing to bat and could score just 163 for five and ended up losing all second round matches.
"I think execution of plans from their bowlers was very good, even with set batsmen we couldn`t score freely. Overall, batting is our strength and we should have done better.”
"We didn`t perform to our potential. The last 4-5 overs that they bowled really restricted us. We need to improve in quite a few areas," Dhoni said after the match.
Sri Lanka enhanced their chances of making the semifinals with this win and captain Kumar Sangakkara had nothing but praise for his bowlers.
"At the end, we were chasing at least 144. Even I thought India would make a very big score, but the guys came back really well at the back end to cut off the runs and to pick up wickets as well," he said.
"Dilshan really got the momentum back after the early wickets, and we have always talked about how good our young players are, and they showed that today. Whatever happens after this, we can rest assured we have done the best we can."
Angelo Mathews, adjudged Man-of-the-Match for his crucial 46-run knock said, "I had to give a good performance with the bat, I`m glad I did it at the right time."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands