Dhyan Chand most deserving for Bharat Ratna: Joshi
Varanasi: Senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi welcomed the government`s proposal to include sports in the criteria for award of Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian honour.
Joshi said he supports batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar`s name for the honour, but hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand was the most deserving sportsperson and should get it first.
Home Minister P Chidambaram has backed the demand to include sports in the criteria for award of Bharat Ratna. The home ministry has conveyed its recommendation to the Prime Minister`s Office.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference