Dhyan Chand`s medium height inspired me: Olympian Dung Dung
Ranchi: Olympian Sylvanus Dung Dung on Saturday
attributed his success to hockey wizard Dhyan Chand`s medium
height after a chance meeting with the legend in Patiala 36
"It was during a practice match between Bihar Regiment
and NIS trainees in 1973 when the hockey great graced the
field to watch us," Dung Dung, who made his international
debut in 1977-78, said here.
"After the match Dhyan Chand applauded us," Dung Dung
said while paying rich tribute to the master of stick-work on
his birth anniversary today.
Sharing his experience with PTI, Dung Dung, who was a
member of the 1980 Moscow Olympic gold medal winning hockey
team, said apart from those inspiring words "his medium
height encouraged me to work hard.
"...After seeing him I thought if I am just about his
height, why not take the game seriously and get into the
"Till then I use to think only tall players could make
it to the team," said Dung Dung, who is now involved in
Representing India in the 1978 Buenos Aires World Cup and
Bangkok Asian Games, he said it was a thrilling experience to
send passes to winger Ashok Kumar, son of Dhyan hand.
Dung Dung also joined some former hockey players`
demanding conferring of `Bharat Ratna` posthumously to the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes