Diack outraged by suggestion to demolish track
London: World athletics chief Lamine Diack condemned as "outrageous" any suggestion of dismantling the athletics track at the London 2012 Olympic stadium after the Games.
London Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur proposes to remove the track if its bid to move into the east London venue succeeds ahead of West Ham United. The two clubs will make their final submissions to the Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC) on Friday.
International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) president Diack said in a statement the promise of an athletics legacy had been a key part of the London bid team`s successful submission to the International Olympic Committee in 2005.
"This promise was not a footnote of London`s bid: it was a core policy of their presentation to convince the Olympic family of their exciting, viable legacy plans," Diack said.
"There is no doubt that this commitment played its part in the UK winning the right to host the 2012 Games.
"While concerns have been raised about sightlines for football we should recall that football has often shared with other sports and not just outside the UK.
"Five out of the last six Champions League finals have been held in stadiums with tracks.
"To now demolish the Olympic stadium, throwing away the original 500 million pounds (USD 792.5 million) investment of public money, seems to me an outrageous proposition, especially in the present world economic climate.
"Instead, let us keep London`s promise alive and leave an athletics legacy at the venue with a top football club as a valued partner."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report