Diana airbrushed from British royal history?
Washington: Late Princess Diana has apparently become a forgotten member of the British Royal family, as the official biography of the Queen Mother comprises just two pages on the beauty with insufficient facts.
Critics have slammed the book written by William Shawcross for not exploring The Queen mother`s views on the princess’ death in a car crash in 1997.
The royal matriarch, who died in 2002 aged 101, was apparently close to Diana and spoke daily to the Queen and other senior royals during the family’s decade of despair and scandals in the 1990s, reports The Daily Express.
Suggestions have come that moments in history that could have been embarrassing to Prince Charles have been ignored.
Royal author Margaret Holder said: “It’s all just been swept away. They will probably justify it on the grounds that they are trying to protect the feelings of the young Princes, William and Harry, who are not so young now, they are grown men. But really it’s to protect Charles and the others.”
The biography tells that in 1993 Princess Margaret had destroyed letters Diana had written to the elderly royal because they were “too private”.
Shawcross briefly refers to Diana’s death, he writes: “In the early hours of Sunday morning, 31 August, the Queen wrote her mother a note to be given when she awoke, telling her of the tragedy.”
On another occasion he mentions the Queen Mother meeting her friends after Diana’s funeral but speaking very little about the service.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know