Diego Forlan’s major impact at WCup
Port Elizabeth: The difference between success and failure in football is often measured in inches, and so it proved for Uruguay and star striker Diego Forlan.
With the last kick of the game in the third-place playoff against Germany, Forlan’s freekick cannoned off the crossbar and Germany held on for a 3-2 at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium last night.
Inches lower and Uruguay would have taken Germany to extra time and Forlan would have become outright leading scorer at the tournament with six goals.
“Only a tiny thing was missing with the freekick,” Forlan said as Uruguay lost 3-2 in a thrilling match - and missed out on third place and its best finish at a World Cup in 60 years.
Despite the small margin, Forlan made a big impact for his country at the World Cup with his five goals, tying him with three other players - Germany’s Thomas Mueller, Spain’s David Villa and the Netherlands’ Wesley Sneijder - as leading scorer.
“For the Uruguayan team Forlan is a very important player,” said coach Oscar Tabarez. “He is the top football player for us.”
“He has achieved many things. He has taken the leading role in our team. We almost can’t do without him.”
With his help, Uruguay got to the brink of the final before a 3-2 semifinal defeat by the Dutch.
Forlan scored from a vicious long-range shot in that semifinal. There was also a swerving, dipping freekick in the quarterfinals against Ghana and a spectacular volley against the Germans in the third place playoff.
Forlan has now scored 29 times for his country, two off Hector Scarone’s all-time Uruguay record.
He will also share the World Cup’s Golden Boot award in 2010 - provided Sneijder or Villa don’t score in today’s World Cup final.
The goals from the 31-year-old Atletico Madrid forward were a major reason for Uruguay’s best World Cup performance since a fourth-place finish in 1970.
“It’s something spectacular to be among the top four,” said Forlan. “If someone would’ve asked us at the beginning, we would’ve liked it. It’s something positive.”
Tabarez said there may be one more World Cup in Forlan, who will have just turned 35 when the 2014 tournament kicks off in Brazil.
“It will depend on what Diego has in his mind,” Tabarez said. “Physically there is nothing stopping him.”
“He takes care of himself so it all depends on what perspective he has himself for his future. He will go on contributing for our team.
“He is not like any other player.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi