Digvijay Singh evades question on alliances in UP
New Delhi: Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh on Saturday evaded comment whether the party would be entering any alliance in Uttar Pradesh, saying everyone should wait for the results.
"To talk on whether Congress will enter an alliance or not, we will have to wait for the results to be declared," he told reporters.
"Every party has the freedom to form an alliance," he added.
Digvijay Singh further said that if Congress got majority in Uttar Pradesh it would form the government otherwise sit in the opposition.
Reacting to exit polls which have predicted a hung assembly with the Mulayam Singh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party winning the maximum seats, he said: "I would throw such exit polls in a dustbin. Exit polls have been proved wrong in the past and they will again be proved wrong this time."
The seventh and final phase of polling to pick a 403-seat assembly in the country`s most populous state - Uttar Pradesh took place Saturday. Counting of votes in the state will take place March 6 along with the votes polled in Punjab, Manipur, Uttarakhand and Goa.
Although elections took place in five states, most interest nationally is on Uttar Pradesh, where the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) is facing an opposition determined to unseat it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’