Disabled athletes protest corruption outside Gill`s residence
New Delhi: Angry at the continued “apathy” of Sports minister M S Gill, hundreds of disabled athletes and activists from all over the country today staged a protest outside his residence here.
Braving heavy rain, scores of activists for disabled rights demanded strict action against “corrupt” Paralympic Committee of India and announced an indefinite strike against the step-motherly treatment meted out to the disabled sportspersons.
“We have written enough letters to Dr Gill. He is least bothered about disabled. He has left everything to his officers and they are hands in gloves with the Paralympic Committee of India, the extremely corrupt sports federation,” Disabled Rights Group convener Javed Abidi on Monday said.
For the past two months, Abidi has been asking Gill to provide basic amenities like equipment, space and a proper coach for the disabled athletes.
“Repeated requests seeking the Minister`s action against the corrupt sports federation have not yielded any results,” Abidi fumed.
Abidi also lambasted the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee for not picking any disabled athlete in its list of six brand ambassadors for the quadrennial event despite the fact that disability sports are a part of the event.
“How come no disabled athlete was selected? For those who may not know, disability sports are an integral part of the Commonwealth Games (since Melbourne 2006). When the Games take place from October 3 to 14, as many as 45 medals will be at stake under disability sports. Medals won or lost will impact the nation`s medal tally,” he said.
“Disabled sportspersons are sidelined in the Commonwealth Games. The Paralympic Committee of India does nothing but to sit over all the funds meant for us,” Abidi lashed out.
He claimed that the Rs 13 crore earmarked for the disability sports for the Commonwealth Games have not been utilised.
“Where has all the money gone?” he asked.
“Why is proper coaching not being provided to our elite disabled athletes like Prashant Karmakar in swimming and Farman Basha in powerlifting, who are our only two medal hopes in the Games? Similar is the neglect towards our table tennis players and athletes,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow