Disabled persons block rail tracks in Patna
Patna: Several differently-abled persons
including children in wheelchairs today demonstrated on a busy
rail track at the Patna junction station putting their lives
at risk from passing trains.
About 50 persons under the banner of an NGO `Samarthan`
took part in the demonstration to protest against the robbery
in a bogie reserved for the disabled in Danapur-Howrah
Express. They demanded adequate security while travelling in
Some of the protestors were moved to safety at the last
minute after a train was seen fast approaching, eyewitnesses
said, raising questions whether their safety was compromised.
Rail traffic was disrupted for over an hour due to the
agitation, an official of East Central Railways said.
Armed men had raided the reserved compartment in the
train near Khusroopur railway station on the night of
September 5 and looted cellphones, chargers, cash, jewellery
and other valuables from them.
A disabled rights activist Javed Abidi said it was
shocking that the safety of the differently abled persons were
compromised during the demonstration.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview