Disappointing England salvage draw against Switzerland
London: England recovered from two goals down to salvage a 2-2 draw with Switzerland but their failure to win at Wembley could cost them top spot in Euro 2012 qualifying Group G with Montenegro playing Bulgaria later on Saturday.
Switzerland, a distant third in the standings, took a grip of the game with Tranquillo Barnetta scoring direct from free kicks after 31 and 34 minutes following some woeful defending by the England defence and goalkeeper Joe Hart.
The hosts struck back almost immediately when Frank Lampard scored with a 37th minute penalty and equalised six minutes into the second half when Ashley Young, who replaced Lampard at halftime, scored with a well-taken first-time shot.
Striker Darren Bent then missed a sitter for England after 71 minutes when he skied the ball over the bar with Swiss goalkeeper Diego Benaglio on the ground.
England leads the group with 11 points from five matches, followed by Montenegro on 10 from four. Switzerland have five points, Bulgaria four and bottom side Wales have none.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars