Disappointing England salvage draw against Switzerland
London: England recovered from two goals down to salvage a 2-2 draw with Switzerland but their failure to win at Wembley could cost them top spot in Euro 2012 qualifying Group G with Montenegro playing Bulgaria later on Saturday.
Switzerland, a distant third in the standings, took a grip of the game with Tranquillo Barnetta scoring direct from free kicks after 31 and 34 minutes following some woeful defending by the England defence and goalkeeper Joe Hart.
The hosts struck back almost immediately when Frank Lampard scored with a 37th minute penalty and equalised six minutes into the second half when Ashley Young, who replaced Lampard at halftime, scored with a well-taken first-time shot.
Striker Darren Bent then missed a sitter for England after 71 minutes when he skied the ball over the bar with Swiss goalkeeper Diego Benaglio on the ground.
England leads the group with 11 points from five matches, followed by Montenegro on 10 from four. Switzerland have five points, Bulgaria four and bottom side Wales have none.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter