Disappointing England salvage draw against Switzerland
London: England recovered from two goals down to salvage a 2-2 draw with Switzerland but their failure to win at Wembley could cost them top spot in Euro 2012 qualifying Group G with Montenegro playing Bulgaria later on Saturday.
Switzerland, a distant third in the standings, took a grip of the game with Tranquillo Barnetta scoring direct from free kicks after 31 and 34 minutes following some woeful defending by the England defence and goalkeeper Joe Hart.
The hosts struck back almost immediately when Frank Lampard scored with a 37th minute penalty and equalised six minutes into the second half when Ashley Young, who replaced Lampard at halftime, scored with a well-taken first-time shot.
Striker Darren Bent then missed a sitter for England after 71 minutes when he skied the ball over the bar with Swiss goalkeeper Diego Benaglio on the ground.
England leads the group with 11 points from five matches, followed by Montenegro on 10 from four. Switzerland have five points, Bulgaria four and bottom side Wales have none.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported