Djokovic beaten in opening match in Miami
Miami: Former champion and world number two Novak Djokovic was knocked out of the Sony Ericsson Open on Friday, falling 6-2, 6-7, 6-4 to Belgian Olivier Rochus in his opening match.
After two rain delays that forced organisers to reschedule some matches to Saturday, Rochus secured his biggest win since he beat then world number two Marat Safin at Wimbledon in 2002.
"He was motivated to win against somebody who`s better ranked, top player," said Djokovic, who won the Miami title in 2007. "He didn`t have anything to lose."
The Serb committed 62 unforced errors and nearly lost his cool during the two hour, 55 minute second round match.
He slammed his racket during the opening game of the second set after Rochus came back from 0-40 down and after the match he left the court to jeers but still gave the crowd a thumbs up.
"I never expected to win," said Rochus, who won a Wimbledon juniors double title with Roger Federer in 1998.
"Novak, he has won a Masters Series five times; he won a grand slam, many things I have never did in my life. He is number two, so I think he has more experience than me."
Women`s world number two Caroline Wozniacki also struggled through her opening match, but advanced by beating Bulgarian Tsvetana Pironkova 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Belgian Kim Clijsters, Serbian Jelena Jankovic, and champion Victoria Azarenka of Belarus also won in the women`s draw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!