Djokovic confirmed as world number one
Paris: Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic was confirmed as the new world number one when the ATP rankings were released on Monday.
Djokovic, who beat Rafael Nadal in Sunday`s final, was already guaranteed to move ahead of the Spaniard following the Serb`s semi-final defeat of Jo-Wilfrid Tsonga.
It ends Nadal`s 56-week rein since he took over from Roger Federer on June 7, 2010.
Not since Andy Roddick in the week of January 26, 2004 has anyone other than Nadal or Federer been ranked number one.
"This is an amazing achievement to get to the top spot, especially with rivals such as Rafa and Roger," said Djokovic.
"They made me work so hard and made me improve every day. There are no words to express how good they are but I always thought that I could become number one one day. Both the belief and the hard work took me there."
It is the natural culmination of an extraordinary first half of the year for Djokovic who has now won 48 of 49 matches in 2011 and claimed eight titles, including the Australian Open and Wimbledon.
At 24 years, 1 month, 12 days, Djokovic is the 25th player since the rankings began in 1973 to hold the number one position and the first Serb to do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow