Djokovic gets top seed for U.S. Open
New York: Serbia`s world number one Novak Djokovic was named on Wednesday, as expected, as the top seed for the Aug. 29-Sept. 11 U.S. Open.
It marked the first time Djokovic was seeded number one for the year`s final grand slam.
Djokovic has never won the U.S. Open but has been in great form this year, losing just two matches all season and winning the Australian Open and Wimbledon.
Defending U.S. Open champion Rafa Nadal was seeded second as tournament organizers stuck with their practice of following the official world rankings to decide the seedings.
Switzerland`s Roger Federer, a five-time U.S. Open winner, was seeded third, ahead of Britain`s Andy Murray, the only player in the top four yet to win a grand slam.
There were two other former champions among the 32 seeds. Argentina`s Juan Martin Del Potro, the 2009 winner, was listed 18th while American Andy Roddick, the 2003 victor, was seeded 21st.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India