Djokovic gets top seed for U.S. Open
New York: Serbia`s world number one Novak Djokovic was named on Wednesday, as expected, as the top seed for the Aug. 29-Sept. 11 U.S. Open.
It marked the first time Djokovic was seeded number one for the year`s final grand slam.
Djokovic has never won the U.S. Open but has been in great form this year, losing just two matches all season and winning the Australian Open and Wimbledon.
Defending U.S. Open champion Rafa Nadal was seeded second as tournament organizers stuck with their practice of following the official world rankings to decide the seedings.
Switzerland`s Roger Federer, a five-time U.S. Open winner, was seeded third, ahead of Britain`s Andy Murray, the only player in the top four yet to win a grand slam.
There were two other former champions among the 32 seeds. Argentina`s Juan Martin Del Potro, the 2009 winner, was listed 18th while American Andy Roddick, the 2003 victor, was seeded 21st.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa