Djokovic looks for super six in Masters series
Mason, Ohio: World number one Novak Djokovic looks to make it an unprecedented six out of six in Masters series titles when he takes on Britain`s Andy Murray in the final of the Cincinnati Open on Sunday but both players say their bodies are feeling the strain.
Djokovic, who has a 57-1 record this season, has already claimed nine tournaments in what has been a remarkable year of dominance in the sport and he is the clear favorite for the U.S. Open, starting in New York on August 29.
The Serb booked his place in the final with a victory over the Czech Republic`s Tomas Berdych, when his opponent had to retire with a shoulder injury having lost the first set to Djokovic 7-5.
Despite only spending 52 minutes on court, Djokovic, who has some shoulder problems of his own, said that he was not in peak condition ahead of the final.
"To be honest, I am definitely not 100 percent but I`m getting out there and trying to give my best to win every match I play on. I know that I felt better last week.”
"But I`m in another final. It`s a great achievement. Tomorrow (Sunday) I`ll try to get another title.”
"I hope it`s not going to be too hot and let`s hope for another good match. We have a good rivalry, same age, same generation and it`s nice to play him in a final again."
Murray beat American Mardy Fish in his semi-final on Saturday but said he was hampered by fitness problems
"I was struggling physically. That`s frustrating for me, because that`s something I haven`t struggled with for quite a long time," said the Scot.
The pair met in the final of the Australian Open in January with Djokovic winning in straight sets and the Serb came out on top again in the Rome semi-finals four months later.
But Djokovic also recalled that Murray beat him here in the 2008 final - one of seven Masters triumphs for Murray.
"This is a surface that he plays well on, I think," said Djokovic.
"We played here in the final and had two tough sets and he won that. So he knows what it takes to win a big match, a big tournament. There is no favorite."
Murray, who has yet to win a grand slam, is under no illusions though about the size of the task facing him.
"I`ll need to play well to get it tomorrow, but it`s the perfect test to see exactly where my game is before the U.S. Open because he`s the number one in the world just now," he said
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor