DMK and CPI reiterate plea for full statehood to Puducherry
Puducherry: The opposition DMK and CPI here today asked the Centre to concede the demand of the territorial assembly to confer full statehood on Puducherry.
Puducherry DMK convener M.A.S.Subramanian told reporters that DMK was in full support of the plea for statehood.
Chief Minister N Rangasamy should call on the Prime Minister, the UPA chairperson and also DMK patriarch M.Karunanidhi to seek their cooperation for statehood for Puducherry, he said.
Puducherry CPI Secretary R.Viswanathan said CPI on its part is preparing a statement to highlight the necessity for statehood and charged the Congress with adopting a `double standard` on the issue.
CPI national council member N.Kalainathan said there should be adequate powers for elected government. `Any IAS officer deviating from the decisions of the elected ministry should be recalled as they cannot call the shots and rule the roost` he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah