DMK and CPI reiterate plea for full statehood to Puducherry
Puducherry: The opposition DMK and CPI here today asked the Centre to concede the demand of the territorial assembly to confer full statehood on Puducherry.
Puducherry DMK convener M.A.S.Subramanian told reporters that DMK was in full support of the plea for statehood.
Chief Minister N Rangasamy should call on the Prime Minister, the UPA chairperson and also DMK patriarch M.Karunanidhi to seek their cooperation for statehood for Puducherry, he said.
Puducherry CPI Secretary R.Viswanathan said CPI on its part is preparing a statement to highlight the necessity for statehood and charged the Congress with adopting a `double standard` on the issue.
CPI national council member N.Kalainathan said there should be adequate powers for elected government. `Any IAS officer deviating from the decisions of the elected ministry should be recalled as they cannot call the shots and rule the roost` he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'