Dog parade marked a difference!
Thrissur, Oct 19: It was a passing out parade with
a difference, with 12 dogs completing their nine month long
training course at the Kerala Police Academy here.
This is the first batch of dog squad which completed the
training programme along with their 24 handlers and assistant
handlers at the academy.
Kerala Home Minister, Kodiyeri Balakrishnan, took the
salute at the passing out parade.
Five German Shepherds and seven Labradors, who came from
various districts of the state, passed out from the academy.
The dogs have been trained to track criminals and sniff
out and detect explosives and narcotics and have been
categorised into two groups-- `Trackers` and `Sniffers`.
The modern training kennel at the Academy here can
accommodate 30 dogs at a time which can be trained in both
tracking and sniffing operations.
These dogs are deployed in the airports.
Earlier, the training of dogs and dog handlers had been
done at BSF Academy, Tekanpur. Except Kerala, all other south
Indian states continue to send their dogs to Tekanpur for
The dogs underwent extensive training involving basic
skills, obedience and agility exercises. Specialised training
was imparted in the second phase, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch