Dog parade marked a difference!
Thrissur, Oct 19: It was a passing out parade with
a difference, with 12 dogs completing their nine month long
training course at the Kerala Police Academy here.
This is the first batch of dog squad which completed the
training programme along with their 24 handlers and assistant
handlers at the academy.
Kerala Home Minister, Kodiyeri Balakrishnan, took the
salute at the passing out parade.
Five German Shepherds and seven Labradors, who came from
various districts of the state, passed out from the academy.
The dogs have been trained to track criminals and sniff
out and detect explosives and narcotics and have been
categorised into two groups-- `Trackers` and `Sniffers`.
The modern training kennel at the Academy here can
accommodate 30 dogs at a time which can be trained in both
tracking and sniffing operations.
These dogs are deployed in the airports.
Earlier, the training of dogs and dog handlers had been
done at BSF Academy, Tekanpur. Except Kerala, all other south
Indian states continue to send their dogs to Tekanpur for
The dogs underwent extensive training involving basic
skills, obedience and agility exercises. Specialised training
was imparted in the second phase, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day