Dogs may have not become `man’s best friend`
Washington: In a new DNA study, scientists have found that domestic dogs originated from Eurasian gray wolves sometime between 15,000 and 40,000 years ago, which raises doubt on the theory that dogs became “man’s best friend” in East Asia.
In 2002, researchers had examined DNA from hundreds of dogs around the world and found that East Asian dogs are the most genetically diverse.
Since the highest diversity should exist in the region where dogs first went from wolf to woof, the study seemed to suggest that the dog-human bond was forged in East Asia.
That study included almost equal numbers of East Asian “breed” dogs and “village” dogs, according to study co-author Adam Boyko, a biologist at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.
Breed dogs include purebred and mixed-breed animals.
Village dogs are those that are indigenous to a specific region and “were not subject to the same degree of intense artificial selection and closed breeding practices that characterize modern breed dogs,” said the study authors.
According to a report in National Geographic News, for the new survey, Boyko and colleagues examined DNA from village and breed dogs living across Africa, plus Puerto Rican street dogs and mixed-breed dogs in the US.
The team found that the African village dogs’ genetic diversity matches that of East Asian village dogs.
The authors note that this does not mean domestic dogs might have originated in Africa.
“We know Africa cannot be where dogs were domesticated, because there are no gray wolves there,” Boyko said.
But, the findings call into question the previous proof that dogs were first domesticated in East Asia.
“What we think we are picking up on is actually the signal of village dogs have more genetic diversity than breed dogs do,” said Boyko.
That’s not to say East Asia is out of the running.
But to definitively solve the riddle, scientists should obtain genetic samples from village dogs throughout Europe, the Middle East, and East Asia, according to Boyko.
Once the timing and location of domestication is resolved, doggie DNA could help unravel mysteries about early human-migration patterns and population histories, he added.
For example, he noted, “there’s pretty good evidence that they followed humans into the New World, and they certainly followed along the Polynesians in their exploring.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened