Doha Round: India for speedy resolution of differences
Geneva: India on Wednesday asked for speedy resolution of major differences among the emerging and developed nations to meet the 2010 deadline to conclude the Doha Round talks and further opening up of global trade.
"If the Doha Round has to be completed by 2010, efforts have to be made to tackle and resolve the major issues in the negotiations" Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma said today while addressing a working session at the seventh WTO Ministerial meeting underway here.
Sharma also regretted that progress made by the 153 member-states for conclusion of the Doha Round by 2010 in the last three months had been "far below expectations".
Regretting that issues relating to farm subsidies was "barely discussed" during the meetings, the minister said for the developing countries, "agriculture is not about commerce, but about survival and livelihoods". He also stressed that effective safeguard mechanisms are critical for protecting the interest of farmers in the developing countries.
On the special safeguard mechanism, which was the subject of considerable debate during the July 2008 mini-Ministerial, he said, "there had been some exchanges but clearly the issue was far from convergence".
Sharma also met US Trade Representative Ron Kirk and trade ministers of Japan, China and Australia here.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview