Dolgopolov breaks tour duck at Umag
Umag: Ukrainian second seed Alexandr Dolgopolov won his first career title on Sunday when he defeated home favourite and fourth seed Marin Cilic 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 in the Croatia Open final.
The 22-year-old Dolgopolov, ranked at 26 in the world, had come into the tournament on a poor run of form, having lost his past four matches.
However, the right-hander didn`t drop a set en route to the final, including victory over defending champion Juan Carlos Ferrero in the semi-finals.
"I hadn`t won a title and everyone was talking about that a bit. So I`m really happy that I eventually did win it, because I was playing pretty well for a year, but still I couldn?t manage to win a title," said Dolgopolov.
"It`s a good moment. I`ll keep on working and try and get higher and higher in the rankings."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report