Donald gears up for final push and unique double
Edison: World number one Luke Donald is gearing up for a final 2011 push as the FedExCup playoffs begin Thursday at The Barclays with the Briton aiming to reign over both the U.S. and European tours.
Donald, who leads both tours in earnings as he masterfully juggles memberships on the two circuits, begins his campaign at Plainfield Country Club for the season-ending playoffs title and its USD 10 million (6.1 million pound) bonus.
Should the 33-year-old Englishman maintain his brilliant consistency, he could achieve a unique double by becoming the first to be the top winner on both tours in the same season.
Donald also leads the standings for the season-ending Race To Dubai on the European PGA.
"I feel like I have a lot to play for," Donald told reporters on Tuesday. "I`ve had a great year so far, very consistent."
Donald has three wins this season, including two on the European Tour along with the WGC-Accenture Match Play title, and has posted 10 top-10 finishes from 13 U.S. events.
This week`s opener of the four-event FedExCup series, was open to the top 125 players in the playoffs standings.
"I feel like I like to play against the best players. I think it elevates my game," said Donald, who will tee off in the first round with Phil Mickelson and U.S. PGA Championship winner Keegan Bradley.
Donald said he was not driven by riches, but rather by the hardware that symbolizes success at the highest level.
"I`m more concerned with winning The Race to Dubai and the FedExCup," said Donald, who ranks fourth in the FedExCup standings.
"Winning trophies rather than the title of being leading money winner is much more important to me. I`m obviously in a position where I have a great chance."
The top 100 players in the points list qualify for the Deutsche Bank Championship in Boston, with the leading 70 players there moving on to the BMW Championship. The top 30 qualify for the Tour Championship finale.
Donald said he was determined to finish strong.
"Certainly it`s a motivating factor," he said. "I`ve been working very hard the past week, and you know, it`s nice to have certain things to chase after and focus (on) and it makes everything a little bit more meaningful."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah