Don`t use military to tackle Maoists: Bardhan
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI on Friday said it is
against using defence forces to combat naxal elements but made
it clear that the party did not approve the violent methods
used by Left extremist groups.
"Using army and air force to combat Maoists will set a
bad precedent and the collateral disaster of such a course
would be serious," CPI General Secretary A B Bardhan said.
Speaking at a meet-the-press programme here, he said "we
totally dissociate with the political strategies of Maoists.
But using army to put them down is not justified. Instead,
police and paramilitary forces should be used."
Stating that his own partymen were often victims of Naxal
violence in areas like Bastar in Chhattisgarh, he said the
extremists should be fought politically and a "socio-economic
dimension" should be evolved to solve the issues faced by
people in naxal-affected areas.
Bardhan also said that the Maoists were actually giving
an excuse to the government to "unleash state-sponsored
violence against people."
Admitting that there was also a failure on the part of
mainstream Left in tackling issues of most backward areas, he
said there was still scope in Indian parliamentary system to
address these problems in a democratic manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video