Door open for India to join IPI gas pipeline: Mottaki
New Delhi: Iran on Tuesday said the "door was
open" for India to join the ambitious Iran-Pakistan-India gas
pipeline but indicated that it could not wait indefinitely and
the structure of the project could change in the future.
Iran has in place a bilateral arrangement with Pakistan
on the gas pipeline and both the countries have begun work on
the project, Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said
"We have a bilateral arrangement with Pakistan and the
door is open for our Indian friends. That (IPI) will be a
reality...but I am not sure about the future," he said in an
interaction at the Indian Council of World Affairs.
Mottaki claimed that more than 100 km of the pipeline has
already been laid on the Iranian side and the Pakistani side
has also "started action" on its side of the border.
"But when you consider this pipeline bilaterally, there
is a definite capacity. If we make commitments with other
partners, with other pipelines, to other regions, in such a
case may be in the future the structure of the project may
change. I do hope to have Indian participation as soon as
possible," he said.
Mottaki said the issue was discussed during his
interactions with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and External
Affairs Minister S M Krishna yesterday.
"During our negotiations, there were some questions and
concerns and they needed some more consideration on this
project," he said.
Mottaki said there was a desire on the part of India to
go for this project and "definitely it will be a reality."
He said through the completion of the IPI project, the
three countries could present a "positive picture" of regional
cooperation among themselves.
The 2,775 km-long pipeline was conceived nearly 20 years
ago to deliver natural gas from Iran to Pakistan and India.
However, India has serious differences with Iran and
Pakistan over the security of the project, pricing of gas and
the delivery point in the country.
China too had expressed interest to join the proposed
Earlier delivering a speech, Mottaki pitched for creation
of a unified Asian framework for better coordination among
countries on strategic issues.
He said Asia lacked a framework for increasing
cooperation within the continent and it had several
sub-regional arrangements like the ASEAN and the Shanghai
He noted that Europe spoke in one voice through the
European Union while Africa also had a similar system.
Mottaki said that a pan-Asian framework was necessary as
it was this continent that was driving economic growth when
the world was facing a financial slowdown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow