Dope scandal prompts calls for suspension of AFI
New Delhi: The positive dope tests of eight top athletes in the last few days today prompted calls for the immediate suspension of the Athletics Federation of India.
There is a growing clamour for action within the Indian Olympic Association with many senior members wanting prompt action to be taken against the AFI which they said has brought shame to the country.
A top IOA office bearer, speaking on the condition of anonymity, cited the case of Indian Weightlifting Federation whose executive body members were forced to resign en masse after doping scandal broke out in 2009 and said that the same can be done in case of AFI.
"The IWF officials were forced to resign en masse after a doping scandal broke out. The hockey federation was dissolved following the autocratic way of functioning of K P S Gill. Why can`t action be taken against the AFI?" the official asked.
The official said since the AFI is considered as the turf of Suresh Kalmadi and Lalit Bhanot, there is a tendency to take a soft stand against it.
Meanwhile, the IOA officials are said to be concerned by the doping scandal and are likely to call a meeting soon to take stock of the situation.
Acting IOA President Vijay Kumar Malhotra had already called for a judicial inquiry into the doping scandal while former athletes, including P T Usha, Milkha Singh and Ashwini Nachappa, have also demanded a thorough probe to get to the bottom of the menace.
Malhotra had said that a retired judge should be appointed to hold the inquiry and look into the role of all concerned -- athletes, coaches, doctors and staff at different Sports Authority of India centres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India