DoT may sell 3 blocks of 3G
New Delhi: Spectrum crunch may force the
government to allow only three private operators to offer 3G
services in a circle and said that successful bidders will
have to make 100 percent payment by March 10.
Even the empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM), headed by
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, in its last meeting had
taken a decision to this effect, says minutes of the meeting.
This would mean that the government may not get the
targeted Rs 25,000 crore from sale of radio waves needed for
third generation telecom services in case only three blocks
According to the minutes of the EGoM meeting, held on
December 21, 2009, "DoT will auction 3 or 4 blocks each of 2x5
MHz of 3G spectrum pan-India (excluding one block assigned to
BSNL/MTNL) subject to availability of spectrum."
Immediately after the EGoM meeting, Telecom Minister A
Raja had announced that four blocks of 3G spectrum would be
On the issue of payment to be made by the operators, the
DoT has cleared the air that the successful bidders would have
make entire payment of 3G spectrum by March 10 and in case of
WiMax by March 20 this year (within current financial year).
The government has fixed reserve price for 3G spectrum at
Rs 3,500 crore for pan-India and Rs 1,750 for WiMax services.
DoT is likely to issue Notice Inviting Applications (NIA) on
January 10 start the auction of 3G spectrum on February 12 and
complete the process on March 5, 2010.
The DoT has already got 10 MHz of spectrum from the
defence and five MHz will be released by March 31 and another
five MHz by August this year. This makes total 20 MHz of
radiowaves available with DoT.
Out of this one block has already been given to BSNL/MTNL
leaving spectrum sufficient for three players only.
"All the blocks of 3G spectrum to be auctioned would be
allotted to the successful bidders immediately after auction
and assigned for use from August 2010 simultaneously," the
EGoM minutes said.
Raja could not be contacted for his comments.
On the payment issue, DoT officials said that the bidders
would be asked to deposit 25 per cent of the bid amount by
February 28 and the balance by March 10 in case of 3G and for
the Wimax spectrum the schedule is 25 per cent to be paid by
March and the remaining by March 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow