DoT seeks MHA`s views on security clearance by telecom cos
New Delhi: The Department of Telecom has
opposed general security clearance to few major equipment
vendors like Ericsson, Nokia-Siemens, Motorola and Huawei and
has sought Home Ministry`s view on the issue, a move that
could delay execution of expansion plans of telcos.
"It will invite criticism on account of level playing
field and discrimination. Therefore, it is felt that at this
stage, it may not be appropriate to accord general security
clearance to major vendors such as Ericsson, NSN, Huawei, ZTE,
Motorola, Cisco, Juniper and others," DoT said in a note sent
to the Ministry of Home Affairs.
DoT has recently indicated tightening security noose on
telecom firms making it mandatory for them to get security
clearance before placing purchase orders for equipment with
the foreign equipment vendors.
If implemented firms like Ericsson, NSN, Huawei, ALU,
ZTE, Motorola, Cisco, Juniper, Tekelec, Comverse and others
will have to get clearance from the Indian security agencies
each time they supply equipment to telecom firms.
The foreign companies are major supplier of equipment in
India. Recently, security agencies have raised concerns over
deploying telecom networks using equipment from Chinese
vendors citing security reasons.
DoT has sought response of Home Ministry and Intelligence
Bureau on whether telcos should apply for security clearance
before placing purchase order for equipment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash