DoT worried firms may seek compensation if spectrum delayed
New Delhi: With no clarity on availability of third generation (3G) mobile spectrum, the government is considering, among others, restricting the number of private players to just two to avoid a situation where it would need to pay damages to operators.
The government had earlier announced allowing four private players in the 3G telephony space, but if it fails to allot spectrum (airwaves for transmitting data and voice) to a winning bidder then it would end up paying compensation.
Restricting the players to two is one of the options being considered, sources said.
"In case the third block is auctioned and could not be assigned, the successful bidder would seek for compensation of the investments made by them for procurement of equipment and creation of infrastructure," a source said.
According to an internal note of the Department of Telecom (DoT), in case only two blocks are put up for auction there would be no issue, as spectrum for two slots have already been released by the Defence Ministry.
An Empowered Group of Ministers, headed by the Finance Minister, had decided last month to allow four private players in the 3G space, besides BSNL/MTNL. The government expects to mop up Rs 25,000 crore from sale of 3G spectrum.
The problem is only in case when more than two blocks are auctioned and the airwaves are not vacated/released by the Defence. "There is uncertainty over the availability of spectrum...," the DoT said.
In case of two telecom PSUs (BSNL and MTNL), who have been assigned 3G spectrum, any change in the frequency band would be improper at this stage, DoT sources said.
Sources said that the DoT may seek another meeting of the EGoM and may propose three blocks to be auctioned with identification of frequencies in consultation with the Ministry of Defence.
The DoT is scheduled to issue Notice Inviting Applications (NIA) from the potential participants on January 10 but uncertainty over the availability of spectrum could further delay the process.
As per the schedule, the auction is scheduled to start from February 12 and completed by March 5, 2010.
On the issue of payment to be made by the successful bidders, sources said that the DoT may ask for full payment by March so that it could be accounted in the current financial year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'