Double amputee Oscar selected for world c`ship
Johannesburg: South African double amputee Oscar Pistorius has been selected to run in the 400 metres at the world athletics championships starting in Daegu, South Korea, this month.
In a statement on Monday Athletics South Africa said Pistorius, who runs on carbon fibre legs, had been named to compete in the 400 metres and 4x400 metres relay.
Pistorius, 24, who has been dubbed the Blade Runner, met the qualifying requirements when he clocked 45.07 seconds at a meeting in Lignano, Italy, last month.
"I have dreamed for such a long time of competing in a major championships and this is a very proud moment in my life," Pistorius said in a statement.
"It is an honour to be representing my country at such a prestigious event and I hope to do my best at the competition for South Africa."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'