Downing completes Liverpool switch
London: England winger Stewart Downing completed his 20 million dollar (USD 32 million) transfer from Aston Villa to Liverpool on Friday after passing a medical, the Anfield giants announced.
The 26-year-old, who has played 27 times for England, becomes Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish`s fourth major signing of the summer following Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Alexander Doni.
"It`s a great feeling and I`m very happy to be here," Downing told www.liverpoolfc.tv.
"It`s been a long time coming and I`ve had to wait a few weeks, but I`m really pleased to be here.”
"With the tradition, the manager and the players they have here, there was a big temptation to come and once I knew of their interest, there was only one place I wanted to go."
Liverpool are believed to have paid 20 million dollar (USD 32 million) for the winger after Villa had already rejected bids of 12 million dollar (USD 19.3 million) and 15 million dollar (USD 24.2 million).
Now Downing is determined to repay Dalglish`s faith in bringing him to Merseyside.
"It would be nice to win something. I`m sure that`s the same objective for everyone, not just me personally," he said.
"My aim is to be in the team, to play well and give something back because the manager has pushed the boat out to get me here, so hopefully I can give him something back."
Earlier Friday, Liverpool signed Brazilian goalkeeper Doni from Roma on a free transfer.
The 31-year-old will act as understudy to the Reds` Spanish first-choice Jose Reina.
Director of football Damien Comolli admitted it was essential to sign a more experienced deputy for Reina.
"We are delighted to sign Doni," said Comolli. "We are getting a very experienced goalkeeper who is used to handling the pressure of big games and international matches with Brazil.”
"He had a very good end of last season with Roma, so we are very pleased.”
"When you come here and know you will be a number two behind Pepe, what`s important for us is the attitude and mentality off the pitch and in the changing room.”
"He`s got to be supportive of the number one but also be aggressive enough to push the number one on a daily basis, and I think Doni represents all that."
Doni, who has 10 caps for his country, made 179 appearances for Roma in six seasons in Italy during which time he won the Italian Cup twice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'