Dreaded Hizbul militant killed in Baramulla
Srinagar: A dreaded Hizbul Mujahideen militant wanted in connection with last month`s shooting incidents here, was gunned down in a police encounter in Baramulla district of north Kashmir on Friday.
"Shamim Ahmad Soda alias Rizwan, a resident of Pattan, was killed in an orchard at village Poshwani, about 30 kms from here, after he refused to surrender and opened fire on a police search party," Viplav Kumar, senior SP Baramulla said.
He said a police party had reached the village following a tip off on Soda wanted in connection with three separate firing incidents in the heart of Srinagar at Regal Chowk, Batmaloo and Lal Chowk in which three CRPF personnel and a policeman were killed.
Soda was also involved in grenade attacks at Batmaloo last month leaving 25 people, including five securitymen, injured.
"Soda was a sharp shooter and was also wanted in connection with two grenade attacks on security forces in Pattan area last month," he said.
Terming the killing of the Hizbul Mujahideen militant as a "prize catch", the SSP said Soda was a very old militant and was arrested in 2006. However, he again resorted to militancy after his release in 2007.
When the police encircled the orchard and asked him to surrender, he opened fire in an attempt to break the police cordon and was killed in the retaliatory action, they said adding the operation lasted for just 30 minutes.
An AK rifle, four magazines and two hand grenades were recovered from him today, Kumar said.
The operation to track down his other associates who were involved in the firing incidents is on, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark