Dredging in Haldia dock in full swing
Kolkata: Port authorities at Haldia and
Kolkata have taken up dredging operations at the Haldia dock
complex on a war-footing in view of an imminent crisis due to
Six dredgers of the Dredging Corporation of India
were carrying out desilting operations in Haldia, while
another would arrive tonight from Paradip, a KoPT spokesman
Stating that the port was functioning normally, he
denied a media report that the HDC had to be shut down
yesterday due to accumulated silt in the channel.
He said the draught had dropped by only .3 metre
yesterday which did not stop ship movement in the channel.
"This is natural during the monsoon. There was no
shutdown of the HDC as reported in a section of the press and
the situation is normal."
The spokesman said four ships entered the HDC during
the day and seven ships sailed out.
Two more dredgers would be brought here from the dry
docks in Colombo and Vizag in the first week of October, he
Meanwhile, 32 ships were waiting at the Sandheads for
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!