Driverless tube trains for London
London: Driverless tube trains should be introduced in the next few years to reduce the power of union bosses, London Mayor Boris Johnson has said.
Johnson wants to enforce the radical overhaul in the biggest battle yet for control of the London Underground. His plans were announced as he set out his stall in the race for City Hall and a second term of power, the Daily Express reported.
London Underground is a rapid transit system in Britain, serving a large part of Greater London and some parts of Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire and Essex.
Johnson believes driverless trains will take away the unions` ability to hold the city to ransom by calling tube drivers` strikes. There have been 23 during his four years in office.
Tube trains would instead be staffed by a "train captain" -- like the Docklands Light Railway -- where a worker monitors safety.
He said: "I want to stress that in making these reforms, I believe it`s going to be possible to work with the unions. There will be some union bosses who won`t agree but I`m not funded by them."
City Hall, the headquarters of the Greater London Authority (GLA) which comprises the Mayor of London and London Assembly, has said that it is "very unlikely" that London Underground will ever again buy a fleet of passenger trains with conventional drivers` cabs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins