Drogba double leads Ivory Coast into Nations Cup finals
Cotonou: A Didier Drogba double helped the Ivory Coast become the second side to progress from the African Nations Cup preliminaries to next year`s finals after a 6-2 win in Benin on Sunday.
Midfielder Gervinho, fresh from helping Lille win the Ligue 1 title, also scored two goals.
The Ivorians qualified with two rounds left to play, keeping up their 100 percent record in Group H and moving into an unassailable position after Burundi beat Rwanda 3-1 on Sunday.
The Ivorians swept into a 3-0 halftime lead before Benin threatened a comeback with a quick double from Stephane Sessegnon.
Drogba converted a penalty to make it 4-2 and there were two more goals in the final minutes.
Benin and Burundi are second in the group with four points each and both out of the running, along with bottom-placed Rwanda.
Botswana have already qualified along with co-hosts Equatorial Guinea and Gabon for the tournament next January and February.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon