Drogba double leads Ivory Coast into Nations Cup finals
Cotonou: A Didier Drogba double helped the Ivory Coast become the second side to progress from the African Nations Cup preliminaries to next year`s finals after a 6-2 win in Benin on Sunday.
Midfielder Gervinho, fresh from helping Lille win the Ligue 1 title, also scored two goals.
The Ivorians qualified with two rounds left to play, keeping up their 100 percent record in Group H and moving into an unassailable position after Burundi beat Rwanda 3-1 on Sunday.
The Ivorians swept into a 3-0 halftime lead before Benin threatened a comeback with a quick double from Stephane Sessegnon.
Drogba converted a penalty to make it 4-2 and there were two more goals in the final minutes.
Benin and Burundi are second in the group with four points each and both out of the running, along with bottom-placed Rwanda.
Botswana have already qualified along with co-hosts Equatorial Guinea and Gabon for the tournament next January and February.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what