Drogba double leads Ivory Coast into Nations Cup finals
Cotonou: A Didier Drogba double helped the Ivory Coast become the second side to progress from the African Nations Cup preliminaries to next year`s finals after a 6-2 win in Benin on Sunday.
Midfielder Gervinho, fresh from helping Lille win the Ligue 1 title, also scored two goals.
The Ivorians qualified with two rounds left to play, keeping up their 100 percent record in Group H and moving into an unassailable position after Burundi beat Rwanda 3-1 on Sunday.
The Ivorians swept into a 3-0 halftime lead before Benin threatened a comeback with a quick double from Stephane Sessegnon.
Drogba converted a penalty to make it 4-2 and there were two more goals in the final minutes.
Benin and Burundi are second in the group with four points each and both out of the running, along with bottom-placed Rwanda.
Botswana have already qualified along with co-hosts Equatorial Guinea and Gabon for the tournament next January and February.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot