Drogba double leads Ivory Coast into Nations Cup finals
Cotonou: A Didier Drogba double helped the Ivory Coast become the second side to progress from the African Nations Cup preliminaries to next year`s finals after a 6-2 win in Benin on Sunday.
Midfielder Gervinho, fresh from helping Lille win the Ligue 1 title, also scored two goals.
The Ivorians qualified with two rounds left to play, keeping up their 100 percent record in Group H and moving into an unassailable position after Burundi beat Rwanda 3-1 on Sunday.
The Ivorians swept into a 3-0 halftime lead before Benin threatened a comeback with a quick double from Stephane Sessegnon.
Drogba converted a penalty to make it 4-2 and there were two more goals in the final minutes.
Benin and Burundi are second in the group with four points each and both out of the running, along with bottom-placed Rwanda.
Botswana have already qualified along with co-hosts Equatorial Guinea and Gabon for the tournament next January and February.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP