Dulko and Pennetta win Melbourne doubles title
Melbourne: Argentine Gisela Dulko and Italy`s Flavia Pennetta beat Eastern Europeans Victoria Azarenka and Maria Kirilenko 2-6, 7-5, 6-1 to win the Australian Open women`s doubles titles.
The top seeds produced a stirring fightback from a set and 4-1 down in fierce Melbourne sunshine to seal victory on their first grand slam final appearance together.
"A set and 4-1 down we were like in shock," Dulko told reporters. "In the changeover, we were like looking each other and saying, `Come on, we can`t finish the match playing less than an hour in the final.` We just kept fighting."
The world`s top two doubles players earned USD 450,000 for their victory over Russia`s Kirilenko and Azarenka of Belarus, the 12th seeds playing their first major together.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug