Dulko and Pennetta win Melbourne doubles title
Melbourne: Argentine Gisela Dulko and Italy`s Flavia Pennetta beat Eastern Europeans Victoria Azarenka and Maria Kirilenko 2-6, 7-5, 6-1 to win the Australian Open women`s doubles titles.
The top seeds produced a stirring fightback from a set and 4-1 down in fierce Melbourne sunshine to seal victory on their first grand slam final appearance together.
"A set and 4-1 down we were like in shock," Dulko told reporters. "In the changeover, we were like looking each other and saying, `Come on, we can`t finish the match playing less than an hour in the final.` We just kept fighting."
The world`s top two doubles players earned USD 450,000 for their victory over Russia`s Kirilenko and Azarenka of Belarus, the 12th seeds playing their first major together.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!