Dulko and Pennetta win Melbourne doubles title
Melbourne: Argentine Gisela Dulko and Italy`s Flavia Pennetta beat Eastern Europeans Victoria Azarenka and Maria Kirilenko 2-6, 7-5, 6-1 to win the Australian Open women`s doubles titles.
The top seeds produced a stirring fightback from a set and 4-1 down in fierce Melbourne sunshine to seal victory on their first grand slam final appearance together.
"A set and 4-1 down we were like in shock," Dulko told reporters. "In the changeover, we were like looking each other and saying, `Come on, we can`t finish the match playing less than an hour in the final.` We just kept fighting."
The world`s top two doubles players earned USD 450,000 for their victory over Russia`s Kirilenko and Azarenka of Belarus, the 12th seeds playing their first major together.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India