Dutch crush India 7-1 and Germany beat New Zealand 2-0
New Delhi: Germany had their work cut out to beat New Zealand 2-0 whereas Olympic and world champions Netherlands crushed India 7-1 on the second day of the women`s World Cup on Monday.
Maartje Paumen scored the second hat-trick of the tournament in Rosario as favourites Netherlands ran riot in the second half after Argentina`s Luciana Aymar had hit three in her team`s 5-2 win over South Africa in Pool B on Sunday.
The Dutch quickly went ahead in their Pool A opener with Marilyn Agliotti`s volley but India hit back in the 24th minute through Rani Rampal.
Parity was short-lived, though, as goals from Ellen Hoog and Kim Lammers gave Netherlands a 3-1 lead at halftime.
In the second half, Paumen scored from two penalty corners either side of a penalty stroke and Lammers hit her second from the top of the circle.
Germany took a quarter of an hour to break down New Zealand`s resistance with a fine goal by Celine Wilde who tipped the ball in off the right post from open play.
Two minutes later Tina Bachmann increased the Germans` lead from a penalty corner but that was the only one out of eight they would go on to convert.
New Zealand exerted increasing pressure during a scoreless second half in which Anita Punt came closest when her shot hit the post in the 52nd minute with no-one near enough to take the rebound.
As time ran out New Zealand`s Gemma Flynn shot across the face of goal then had another effort saved by goalkeeper Kristina Reynolds.
Twice champions Australia were playing Japan in the late match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof