Dutch crush India 7-1 and Germany beat New Zealand 2-0
New Delhi: Germany had their work cut out to beat New Zealand 2-0 whereas Olympic and world champions Netherlands crushed India 7-1 on the second day of the women`s World Cup on Monday.
Maartje Paumen scored the second hat-trick of the tournament in Rosario as favourites Netherlands ran riot in the second half after Argentina`s Luciana Aymar had hit three in her team`s 5-2 win over South Africa in Pool B on Sunday.
The Dutch quickly went ahead in their Pool A opener with Marilyn Agliotti`s volley but India hit back in the 24th minute through Rani Rampal.
Parity was short-lived, though, as goals from Ellen Hoog and Kim Lammers gave Netherlands a 3-1 lead at halftime.
In the second half, Paumen scored from two penalty corners either side of a penalty stroke and Lammers hit her second from the top of the circle.
Germany took a quarter of an hour to break down New Zealand`s resistance with a fine goal by Celine Wilde who tipped the ball in off the right post from open play.
Two minutes later Tina Bachmann increased the Germans` lead from a penalty corner but that was the only one out of eight they would go on to convert.
New Zealand exerted increasing pressure during a scoreless second half in which Anita Punt came closest when her shot hit the post in the 52nd minute with no-one near enough to take the rebound.
As time ran out New Zealand`s Gemma Flynn shot across the face of goal then had another effort saved by goalkeeper Kristina Reynolds.
Twice champions Australia were playing Japan in the late match.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case