Dutch crush India 7-1 and Germany beat New Zealand 2-0
New Delhi: Germany had their work cut out to beat New Zealand 2-0 whereas Olympic and world champions Netherlands crushed India 7-1 on the second day of the women`s World Cup on Monday.
Maartje Paumen scored the second hat-trick of the tournament in Rosario as favourites Netherlands ran riot in the second half after Argentina`s Luciana Aymar had hit three in her team`s 5-2 win over South Africa in Pool B on Sunday.
The Dutch quickly went ahead in their Pool A opener with Marilyn Agliotti`s volley but India hit back in the 24th minute through Rani Rampal.
Parity was short-lived, though, as goals from Ellen Hoog and Kim Lammers gave Netherlands a 3-1 lead at halftime.
In the second half, Paumen scored from two penalty corners either side of a penalty stroke and Lammers hit her second from the top of the circle.
Germany took a quarter of an hour to break down New Zealand`s resistance with a fine goal by Celine Wilde who tipped the ball in off the right post from open play.
Two minutes later Tina Bachmann increased the Germans` lead from a penalty corner but that was the only one out of eight they would go on to convert.
New Zealand exerted increasing pressure during a scoreless second half in which Anita Punt came closest when her shot hit the post in the 52nd minute with no-one near enough to take the rebound.
As time ran out New Zealand`s Gemma Flynn shot across the face of goal then had another effort saved by goalkeeper Kristina Reynolds.
Twice champions Australia were playing Japan in the late match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack