EC bans bulk SMSes in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: The Election Commission on Wednesday partially banned bulk SMSes in Uttar Pradesh.
The ban would come in force 48 hours prior to polling in each Assembly constituency of the state.
Uttar Pradesh goes to polls in seven phases, beginning February 8.
The ban is aimed at preventing political parties from using the SMS channel to spread their message 48 hours before the voting as is the general norm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok