EC clean chit to Jayant Chowdhury
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Election Commission
today gave a clean chit to Civil Aviation Minister Ajit
Singh`s son and Rashtriya Lok Dal leader Jayant Chowdhury who
was caught on camera accepting money from a local leader in
Mathura and allegedly violating the model code of conduct.
After examination, it has been found that there was
no effort to woo the electorate by offering money and Rs.
51,000 which were seen changing hands were being given for
poll management, Joint Chief Electoral Officer Anita Meshram
The RLD candidate would mention it in the expenditue
register which would also be checked by the expenditure
observer, she said adding the Returning Officer`s report in
this regard is being sent to the Election Officer.
According to the report, gram pradhan Than Singh was
giving the money to the candidate for election management.
A notice was sent to Chowdhury by the EC earlier this
week seeking his explanation after he was caught on camera
accepting money at Govardhan Assembly constituency.
Besides Chowdhury, a notice was also given to
party candiadate from Goverdhan Megh Shyam Singh.
The Assembly constituencies that fall under Mathura
will go to vote on February 28.
Chowdhury, a sitting MP from Mathura, is also contesting
Assembly polls from Maant seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown