EC lifts veil from Maya, her elephants
Lucknow: The Election Commission on Saturday asked the Uttar Pradesh government to uncover statues of Chief Minister Mayawati and the elephant, the BSP`s poll symbol, in the state.
"The EC Secretary has written a letter to the UP Chief Secretary stating that the statues draped following its January eight order should be uncovered forthwith," UP Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha told a news agency.
The EC had said the statues should be uncovered as the
poll process was over in the state.
Immediately after receiving the EC`s order, UP Chief
Secretary Anup Mishra had sent directives to district
authorities in this regard.
The EC`s order was effective with immediate effect,
On January seven, the EC had said that statues of
Mayawati and the elephant installed at various places in the
state should be veiled during the seven-phased assembly
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley