EC notice to Gujarat Congress chief for calling Modi `monkey`
Ahmedabad: The Election Commission(EC) has issued a show cause notice to Gujarat Congress president Arjun Modhwadia for his reported remarks on the personal life of Chief Minister Narendra Modi and also for comparing him with animals and asked him to file his reply by November 24.
BJP MP and state unit General Secretary Balkrishna Shukla had filed a complaint with the Commission about Modhvadia`s speech in Vadodara on November 2 when he made the controversial comments.
The Commission sent the notice to Modhwadia after listening to the CD containing his speech.
The notice said that Modhwadia`s remarks prima facie violated Model Code of Conduct which prohibits personal attacks on the leaders of rival political parties.
"The Commission hereby gives notice to you to show cause as to why action should not be taken against you, for the violation of the Model Code of Conduct," said the EC notice issued yesterday and signed by its secretary Harbans Singh.
The EC has also directed Modhwadia to submit his response by November 24 and added that, "failing which it would be assumed that you have nothing to say in the matter and appropriate action will be taken against you without any further reference to you."
Modhwadia, in a public meeting on November 2 in Vadodara, had criticised Modi for repeatedly targeting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and also took a dig at Modi for his remarks on Sunanda Pushkar, wife of Union Minister Shashi Tharoor.
He had also compared Modi with animals in the same meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future