EC reviews Assam poll scenario
Guwahati: The Election Commission on Monday reviewed the poll scenario in Assam with political parties and
election officials in the state.
Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi, accompanied
by Election Commissioners HS Brahma and VS Sampath, met
leaders of ruling Congress and Opposition parties Asom Gana
Parishad, BJP, CPI-M and AUDF.
The Opposition leaders alleged that there were
violations of model of conduct by the ruling Congress and
urged the EC officials to ensure that a free and fair election
is held in the state.
Quraishi, who is on a two-day visit to the state from
today, directed state election officials to look into the
complaints and take immediate measures to redress them, if
found to be correct.
The ruling Congress also assured the CEC that the
party was for free and fair polls in the state.
The parties urged the CEC to provide adequate security
cover at the polling stations and deploy additional forces at
the sensitive booths.
The CEC held meetings with senior civil, police,
election and district officials to review the poll
preparedness in the 126 constituencies of the state.
Assembly elections in Assam will be held in two phases
on April 4 and April 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II