EC slaps notice on CPI(M) leader for remarks against Mamata
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Wednesday served a notice to veteran CPI-M leader Anil Basu for using
certain "obscene" remarks against Trinamool chief Mamata
Banerjee saying "prima facie" his utterances violated model
code of conduct.
The EC issued the notice after watching the CD and
transcript of the speech Basu had made at an election meeting
held at Arambagh in Hooghly on April 22 and asked him to reply
by April 30.
In its notice, the EC said it was of the view that his
statement prima facie constituted the violation of general
conduct of the model code of conduct which prohibits personal
attacks on the leaders of rival political parties and
criticism of all aspects of their private life.
"Now, therefore, the Commission hereby gives notice to
you to show cause as to why action should not be taken against
you for violation of the model code of conduct", it said.
Seeking a response by April 30, the EC said appropriate
action would be taken against Basu him if the reply does not
come by that date without any further notice.
Basu had already apologised for using expletives against
Banerjee after being ordered by the party leadership which
also barred the seven-time MP from holding poll rallies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day