EC slaps notice on CPI(M) leader for remarks against Mamata
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Wednesday served a notice to veteran CPI-M leader Anil Basu for using
certain "obscene" remarks against Trinamool chief Mamata
Banerjee saying "prima facie" his utterances violated model
code of conduct.
The EC issued the notice after watching the CD and
transcript of the speech Basu had made at an election meeting
held at Arambagh in Hooghly on April 22 and asked him to reply
by April 30.
In its notice, the EC said it was of the view that his
statement prima facie constituted the violation of general
conduct of the model code of conduct which prohibits personal
attacks on the leaders of rival political parties and
criticism of all aspects of their private life.
"Now, therefore, the Commission hereby gives notice to
you to show cause as to why action should not be taken against
you for violation of the model code of conduct", it said.
Seeking a response by April 30, the EC said appropriate
action would be taken against Basu him if the reply does not
come by that date without any further notice.
Basu had already apologised for using expletives against
Banerjee after being ordered by the party leadership which
also barred the seven-time MP from holding poll rallies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Major Dhyan Chand example of sportsman spirit, patriotism: PM Modi pays tribute to the hockey legend
- Two criminals arrested; stolen motorcycle, arms recovered
- Congress not to project a CM candidate in Gujarat
- Ranveer Singh's rendition of 'Pardesi Pardesi' is so bad it is actually good! - Watch video
- Balochistan Assembly adopts resolution against PM Narendra Modi - Know details