Economic growth to speed up in 2010
Beijing: India’s economic growth will accelerate this year, Minister of Commerce and Industry said as he demanded better access to China`s markets to help exports.
Anand Sharma`s call for greater access for Indian goods comes amid a widening trade gap between the countries.
Trade between the two grew rapidly to $50 billion in 2008, making China India`s second-largest trading partner, but fell back to $43 billion in 2009 as global trade declined.
"We have an imbalance, a gap in trade, which we need to meaningfully address," Sharma told a forum.
The two countries still target $60 billion in mutual trade in 2010 because of an economic rebound, Sharma said.
"That was discussed in today`s meeting and I still remain optimistic we can keep that target for 2010."
Sharma called for more Chinese direct investment in India, especially in infrastructure, while noting that Indian firms are already present in China.
The lion`s share of Indian exports to China are commodities, especially iron ore, of which India is China`s third-largest supplier. The focus on commodities has disappointed India`s efforts to export more diversified and value-added products.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels