Economy to grow by 7.75%: Rangarajan
Hyderabad: Indian economy will grow 7 to 7.75 percent during the current financial year despite poor performance of the agriculture sector on account of drought and floods, said PMEAC Chairman C Rangarajan.
"The economy will grow between 7 and 7.5 per cent overall but agricultural growth may fall by 1 to 2 per cent," Prime Minister`s Economic Advisory Council (PMEAC) chief said while speaking at the College of Defence Management here on the challenges before the Indian economy.
Flagging food inflation as a major concern, he said, "agricultural growth rate should not fall below 4 per cent for food security as 60 per cent of the population are in rural areas."
Although the economy did well during the second quarter (July-September) recording a growth of 7.9 percent, the output of agriculture and allied sector slipped to below 1 percent.
Food inflation in the first week of December soared to a decade`s high of 20 per cent, mainly driven by rising prices of pulses, potato and other vegetables.
Referring to the impact of the widespread drought and devastating floods on the farm sector, Rangarajan said, rice output might decline by 13 million tonnes.
However, he hoped, the rabi (winter crop) would to some extent make up for the shortfall in kharif (summer crop).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why