Egypt favourites but must dismantle Ghana defence
Luanda: Holders Egypt are favourites to win Sunday`s African Nations Cup final (1600 GMT) although they face a tough task breaking down Ghana`s accomplished defence.
Egypt are in search of an unprecedented third successive title, and a record seventh overall, while Ghana are in the final for the first time in 18 years.
That the Black Stars have made it this far in Angola has defied all pre-tournament predictions.
Ghana lost several key players through injury before the start of the finals and left out key midfielder Sulley Muntari for disciplinary reasons.
To add to their woes, captain Michael Essien played just 45 minutes at the Nations Cup before suffering a knee injury in a training ground collision and was ruled out for six weeks.
But despite the odds stacked against them, Ghana have put in snatch and grab performances to reach the final.
They beat hosts Angola 1-0 in their quarter-final last Sunday and on Thursday scored early against Nigeria before turning in a stout defensive performance in the semi-final.
Ghana, whose squad has eight players from their world champion under-20 team of last September, will be tested by an Egypt attack that ha scored 14 goals in five games here.
Substitute striker Mohamed Nagui is the leading scorer at the tournament with four goals.
Success for Egypt will highlight their surprise failure to qualify for the World Cup in South Africa. Ghana are one of six African countries competing at the finals starting in June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest