Egypt favourites but must dismantle Ghana defence
Luanda: Holders Egypt are favourites to win Sunday`s African Nations Cup final (1600 GMT) although they face a tough task breaking down Ghana`s accomplished defence.
Egypt are in search of an unprecedented third successive title, and a record seventh overall, while Ghana are in the final for the first time in 18 years.
That the Black Stars have made it this far in Angola has defied all pre-tournament predictions.
Ghana lost several key players through injury before the start of the finals and left out key midfielder Sulley Muntari for disciplinary reasons.
To add to their woes, captain Michael Essien played just 45 minutes at the Nations Cup before suffering a knee injury in a training ground collision and was ruled out for six weeks.
But despite the odds stacked against them, Ghana have put in snatch and grab performances to reach the final.
They beat hosts Angola 1-0 in their quarter-final last Sunday and on Thursday scored early against Nigeria before turning in a stout defensive performance in the semi-final.
Ghana, whose squad has eight players from their world champion under-20 team of last September, will be tested by an Egypt attack that ha scored 14 goals in five games here.
Substitute striker Mohamed Nagui is the leading scorer at the tournament with four goals.
Success for Egypt will highlight their surprise failure to qualify for the World Cup in South Africa. Ghana are one of six African countries competing at the finals starting in June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe