Egypt to meet Ghana in final of African Nations Cup
Benguela: Egypt and Ghana have advanced to the African Nations Cup final, maintaining their records as the tournament`s most successful teams.
They will both play in a final for an eighth time when they meet in Luanda on Sunday after Ghana edged out Nigeria 1-0 and Egypt thumped Algeria 4-0 in the semi-finals.
Egypt, who remain on course for a record-breaking third successive title, will be heavily fancied against the injury-hit Ghanaian team, who overcame the absence of several key players to book their first final in 18 years.
Egypt had been eliminated from World Cup qualification by Algeria but extracted a measure of revenge with the victory in a game that saw three Algerian players sent off.
Rafik Halliche, Nader Belhadj and goalkeeper Fawzi Chaouchi were red carded while Hosni Abd Rabou (penalty), Mohamed Zidan, Mohamed Abdelshafi and Mohamed Nagui scored for Egypt.
"It`s clear the referee spoilt the game. The first red card was for nothing and we were completely deflated by that," Algeria coach Rabah Saadane said.
Ghana turned in a tight defensive performance to beat Nigeria, Asamoah Gyan`s 21st minute header the difference between the sides.
Ghana went into the tournament without several key players and then lost captain Michael Essien after he suffered a knee injury in training.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter