Egyptian pyramids found by infra-red satellite images
New Delhi: Archaeologists have discovered two suspected Egyptian pyramids and spotted more than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements by using infra-red imaging which revealed the underground buildings.
Dr Sarah Parcak and her team pioneered the work in space archaeology from a NASA-sponsored laboratory in Birmingham , Alabama. The team analyzed images obtained from satellites orbiting 700km above the earth, equipped with powerful cameras that can pin-point objects less than 1m in diameter on the earth`s surface.
The images also revealed that ancient Egyptians built their houses and structures out of mud brick, which is much denser than the soil that surrounds it.
In the documentary `Egypt`s Lost Cities`, the team visited an area of Saqqara (Sakkara),which is believed to be one of the most important archaeological sites in Egypt.
They excavated a 3,000 year old house the image of which was obtained through the satellite imagery. The structure of the house shown in the satellite imagery almost perfectly matched with the one they excavated, validating their findings using infra-red imaging technology.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India