Eight-member Indian team for World Athletics
New Delhi: Ace discus thrower Vikas Gowda, who won a bronze in the Asian Games last year, and middle-distance runner Tintu Luka will spearhead the Indian challenge at the World Athletics Championships to be held at Daegu, South Korea from August 27 to September 4.
Other notable athletes in the eight-member squad are shot putter Om Prakash Singh Karhana, triple jumper Renjith Maheswari and Mayookha Johny who qualified as the Asian champion in long jump (6.56m) and did a 14.11m in triple jump to make the grade.
Om Prakash had a 20.04 in the Hungarian meet last month.
Luka recently managed to clock her best time of the season at the Flenders Cup Meet in Belgium, claiming the silver medal in the 800m with a timing of 2:01.75.
She had earlier clinched gold in two European circuit meets (at Karlstad in Sweden and in Amsterdam).
The athletes and coaches will leave for the event on August 22.
Men: Vikas Gowda (discus), Renjith Maheswary (triple jump), Om Prakash Singh (shot put), Gurmeet Singh and Babubhai Panucha (20km walk).
Women: Tintu Luka (800m), Mayookha Johny (long jump and triple jump) and Harwant Kaur (discus).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day