Eight-member Indian team for World Athletics
New Delhi: Ace discus thrower Vikas Gowda, who won a bronze in the Asian Games last year, and middle-distance runner Tintu Luka will spearhead the Indian challenge at the World Athletics Championships to be held at Daegu, South Korea from August 27 to September 4.
Other notable athletes in the eight-member squad are shot putter Om Prakash Singh Karhana, triple jumper Renjith Maheswari and Mayookha Johny who qualified as the Asian champion in long jump (6.56m) and did a 14.11m in triple jump to make the grade.
Om Prakash had a 20.04 in the Hungarian meet last month.
Luka recently managed to clock her best time of the season at the Flenders Cup Meet in Belgium, claiming the silver medal in the 800m with a timing of 2:01.75.
She had earlier clinched gold in two European circuit meets (at Karlstad in Sweden and in Amsterdam).
The athletes and coaches will leave for the event on August 22.
Men: Vikas Gowda (discus), Renjith Maheswary (triple jump), Om Prakash Singh (shot put), Gurmeet Singh and Babubhai Panucha (20km walk).
Women: Tintu Luka (800m), Mayookha Johny (long jump and triple jump) and Harwant Kaur (discus).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters