Eleven arrested for setting Bihar train on fire
Patna: Eleven men have been arrested for their involvement in setting a train on fire in Bihar last month following an altercation between students and railway personnel, police said Sunday.
The 11 were arrested after they were identified through video clippings provided by television news channels as being part of the group that torched the Shramjivi Express August 18 following a row with Railway Protection Force (RPF) personnel, said Deputy Inspector General (Railway Police) Arvind Pandey.
So far, 26 people have been identified through video clippings as being part of the mob.
Ten days after the incident, the Railway Police had arrested Faiz Ahmad alias Chand, one of the 26 culprits identified.
On August 18, a group of students had a heated argument with railway personnel after they were found travelling without tickets. Following this, the angry mob pelted stones and set fire to two air-conditioned coaches of the train at Bihta railway station, about 30 km from here.
The fire spread to two other air conditioned coaches as well though no one was injured in the incident.
The four coaches that were burnt were worth Rs 3.5 crore (Rs 35 million) as each AC coach costs a minimum of Rs 75 lakh, a railway official said. Both the state government and the railway police have launched a probe into the incident. Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had asked the police to take stern action against the culprits.
In view of the incident, the police have decided to set up a separate control room for the government railway police and the RPF.
Railway sources said that the Bihta incident is the second in three months where students burnt train coaches to vent their anger. In June, students had burnt four coaches of two trains at Khusrupur, 32 km from Patna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test
- Donald Trump threatens to leave WTO